Actor Fred Savage has reportedly been fired from the reboot of his 1990s-era hit “The Wonder Years” for unspecified “inappropriate conduct,” but some see the allegations as ludicrous.
According to reports, Savage was dismissed his role as executive producer and director of a Disney-owned ABC reboot, a spokesman confirmed Friday.
Savage, 45, who starred in the original “Wonder Years” show, was investigated for “inappropriate conduct” before the decision came to fire him.
“Recently, we were made aware of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Fred Savage, and as is policy, an investigation was launched,” a spokesman for 20th Television said in a statement, according to Deadline. “Upon its completion, the decision was made to terminate his employment as an executive producer and director of ‘The Wonder Years.’”
There had been rumors about the alleged misbehavior that include “verbal outbursts and inappropriate behavior.”
Previously, actress Alley Mills, who played Savage’s mother on the original show, said in 2018 that the series was initially canceled back in 1993 after launching in 1988 to much fanfare over a “completely ridiculous sexual harassment suit that was going on against Fred Savage.”
The suit was filed against Savage, who was 16 at the time, and his ‘older brother’ on the show, then-20-year-old Jason Hervey, claiming physical harassment and verbal abuse.
Mills described her on-screen son “is the least offensive, most wonderful, sweet human being that ever walked the face of the earth … So I just thought it was a big joke and it was going to blow over.”
“Some innocent people can get caught up in this stuff,” Mills added, referring generally to the sweeping #MeToo movement at the time. “It’s very tricky.”
“It was so not true. It was my [costumer], and I don’t care if she’s listening,” she said. “I probably shouldn’t be telling this, but I don’t care because it’s so long ago and it’s gotta be over now.”
In 2018, a woman filed a claim that Savage harassed and attacked her on the set of “The Grinder” three years earlier. The actor blasted the allegations at the time as “completely without merit and absolutely untrue.” An investigation into those claims found no wrongdoing.
A woman in 2018 claimed Savage attacked and harassed her on set of “The Grinder” in 2015. The actor slammed the allegations as “completely without merit and absolutely untrue,” and an investigation into the claims found no wrongdoing.
Last month, legendary comedic actor Bill Murray was accused of “inappropriate behavior,” leading to producers shutting down a project called “Being Mortal,” The Daily Wire reported.
“Principal photography for the project — a film adaptation of surgeon Atul Gawande’s nonfiction book ‘Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End’ — was said to be halfway completed at the time the set was shut down, just three weeks after it began on March 28,” the report noted.
Murry himself has said that the issue related to a female on the set.
The Daily Wire adds:
The movie, “Being Mortal,” which includes other top actors like Aziz Ansari and Seth Rogan, was set to be released in 2023 before the incident. It is now not clear whether Murray will continue to be a part of the film.