The overwhelming majority of members of an association that represents prosecutors in Los Angeles voted to have their boss, District Attorney George Gascon, recalled from his two-year tenure in the position.
According to the Washington Examiner, the Association of Deputy District Attorneys, which consists of more than 800 deputy DAs in L.A. County, noted Tuesday that fully 98 percent of members want to see Gascon recalled. Also, the organization said that 88.3 percent of deputy district attorneys took part in the vote.
The outlet reported that a campaign to get enough signatures for a recall vote “is in full swing,” as more than 31 cities in L.A. County are supportive of the effort to include Beverly Hills, which is 71 percent Democrat voters.
“This vote is by those who are intimately familiar with how Mr. Gascon’s policies actually play out on a day-to-day basis,” Michele Hanisee, president of the group, said. “We believe the vote of our members will resonate with the voters of Los Angeles as they decide whether to recall Gascon from office and restore public safety as the priority of the district attorney’s office.”
The outlet adds:
The vote was taken after Gascon refused to meet with his attorneys two weeks ago and instead appeared at a town hall with public defenders. Prosecutors have been critical of Gascon’s policies, which are implemented by a managerial team that he hired from the Public Defender’s Office.
Shortly after taking office, he posted a list of mandates that reversed decades of tough-on-crime charging and sentencing enhancements that had been overwhelmingly passed by California voters over the years.
One issue is the ability to prosecute teenage defendants as adults. Gascon was slammed by prosecutors and victims’ rights advocates for keeping a 17-year-old child molester in juvenile court so he could receive a light two-year sentence with no lifetime sex offender registration.
That defendant, who is now a 26-year-old trans woman named Hannah Tubbs, bragged in a phone call about getting away with molesting a 10-year-old girl in 2014, according to Fox News.
A tape of the call was made public featuring Tubbs saying, “I’m going to plead out to it, plead guilty. They’re going to stick me on probation, and it’s going to be dropped — it’s going to be done. I won’t have to register, won’t have to do nothing.”
“You won’t have to register?” her father asks on the other line later in the conversation.
“I won’t have to do none of that,” Tubbs replies.
“So what are they going to do to you then?”
“Nothing,” Tubbs responded before laughing.
Tubbs’ victim told Fox News Digital that the DA’s pathetic handling of the case has been “insulting” and “unfair” to her.
“The things he did to me and made me do that day was beyond horrible for a ten-year-old girl to have to go through,” she told the network. “I want him tried as an adult for the crimes he committed against me.”
She also said that the light sentence Tubbs received was incredibly offensive and hurtful, providing her “no true justice.”
“I’ve also heard that my attacker goes by she/them pronouns now,” she added. “I see it also unfair to try him as a woman as well, seeing how he clearly didn’t act like one on January 1st of 2014.”
During his time in office, Gascon has refused to file additional charges for crimes involving the use of guns, belonging to a gang, or for suspects charged with participating in multiple felonies, known as “strikes” that could result in being sent to prison for life.
He also got rid of the decades-old tradition of sending a prosecutor to a parole hearing in order to argue on behalf of keeping prisoners locked up.