It is time for the cancel culture train to start warming the engine again. This time after a Canadian actress has voiced her belief that vaccine mandates should not be allowed.
Marvel actress Evangeline Lilly posted on Instagram on Thursday and expressed her position against COVID-19 vaccine mandates.
“I was in DC this weekend to support bodily sovereignty while Canadian truckers were rallying for their cross-country, peaceful convoy in support of the same thing,” the actress said in the caption of a photo that showed someone with a sign that read “Vaxxed Democrat For Medical Freedom.
“I believe nobody should ever be forced to inject their body with anything, against their will, under threat of: violent attack, arrest or detention without trial, loss of employment, homelessness, starvation, loss of education, alienation from loved ones, excommunication from society…under any threat whatsoever,” the actress said.
“This is not the way. This is not safe. This is not healthy. This is not love. I understand the world is in fear, but I don’t believe that answering fear with force will fix our problems,” she said. “I was pro choice before COVID and I am still pro choice today.”
It is not the first time the actress has made controversial statements during the pandemic. Namely during an Instagram Live in March 2020.
“Lilly had previously gone on her own Instagram Live to chat about how life had been going for her and her own endeavors despite the public health crisis,” InStyle reported. “She called her life ‘#businessasusual’ and recounted taking her children to gymnastics camp, after they ‘all washed their hands before going in.’”
“I have two young kids,” she said on “Some people value their lives over freedom, some people value freedom over their lives. We all make our choices.”
But she came under tremendous pressure from fellow stars and then issued an apology.
“I am writing you from my home where I have been social distancing since Mar 18th – when social distancing was instituted in the small community where I am currently living,” the actress said. “At the time of my Mar 16th post, the directives from the authorities here were that we not congregate in groups of more than 250ppl and that we wash our hands regularly, which we were doing. Two days later, those directives changed and, despite my intense trepidation over the socioeconomic and political repercussions of this course of action, PLEASE KNOW I AM DOING MY PART TO FLATTEN THE CURVE, PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING AND STAYING HOME WITH MY FAMILY.”
“I want to offer my sincere and heartfelt apology for the insensitivity I showed in my previous post to the very real suffering and fear that has gripped the world through COVID19,” she argued. “Grandparents, parents, children, sisters and brothers are dying, the world is rallying to find a way to stop this very real threat, and my ensuing silence has sent a dismissive, arrogant and cryptic message.”
“I never meant to hurt you,” she said. “When I wrote that post 10 days ago, I thought I was infusing calm into the hysteria. I can see now that I was projecting my own fears into an already fearful and traumatic situation. I am grieved by the ongoing loss of life, and the impossible decisions medical workers around the world must make as they treat those affected.”